No, really, I just figured out that I have adult ADD type 2, which is the innattentive version, not the hyperactive one, which is why it probably went un-noticed. My wife's mom, Denise had told me I had it a few years ago, but I brushed it off because I don't have problems focusing on one thing at a time, if its something that interests me. When I was a missionary I didn't have a problem sitting for an entire day, up to even like 12-14 hours at times to write a sermon or study russian. Now I understand, that that kind of hyper focus to the exclusion of all else is actually another confirmation.
This last week or so I,
-Left an expensive digital camera somewhere that I can't remember and now it's gone.
-Got on the turnpike going the wrong way at an entrance I'm familiar with (13 miles to the next exit! Thankfully I don't let myself get beat down by "the man", and I found my own exit which involved some serious offroading in a mini-van and tresspassing on state property.)
-Left the 2 different garage doors completely open overnight.
-Tuned out at a small group to the point where I was the only person out of 7 guys that didn't hear that we had decided on a book for our meeting together, kind of the main point of the meeting.
This might sound like minor stuff or like I have a lot on my mind, but I don't and this kind of crap has been happening my entire life and I'm very tired of it.
Basically it's an issue of mental clarity, my nourotransmitter is not pumping it's chemicals out quickly enough, almost all the time unless I'm hepped up on caffiene or something, (I'll leave it to your imagination what else I'd be hepped up on, JK, I just say no) which leaves my brain in a haze when it comes to the mundane, or often on another subject entirely, usually something pretty abstract that has no bearing on whatever I'm doing. That leaves me with the option of battling against daydreaming (I revert to thoughts that interest me, theology, econ. RVs etc.) or my preferred method of reality, sensory shock. Now I understand why I'm on top of my game when it comes to new experiences, new knowledge, strong flavorful foods and high risk situations. I think it's that hyper focus on what's interesting to me and high threshold for risk that has helped me in business.
2 funny sidenotes to end this on. I've been doing a lot of research on this, and whenever you read a post by an ADHD person (I don't have the H), you know it immediately. Short choppy sentences, and thought patterns that are hard to follow. The other thing is that in the middle of posting this I changed the baby, then not less then 10 minutes later, I couldn't for the life of me remember if I had done that or not and so I picked her up and took her over to get changed again, when I remembered that I had indeed changed her. I'm going to get more coffee so that I can semi function for the rest of my day.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment